Tour the CCOF-Certified Organic Vineyards and Wine Taste at Alfaro Family Vineyards, Cooper-Garrod Estate Vineyards and Silver Mountain
Celebrate Earth Day and learn more about sustainable and organic practices in the vineyard while wine tasting at the wineries on the Organic Wine Trail of the Santa Cruz Mountains. We are honoring Earth Day (which is on the 22nd) on Passport Day on April 19. Passports are available from the SCMWA on this website, as well as at the wineries on the wine trail. April is recognized as Earth Month by California wineries.
The three wineries are showcasing their vineyards certified organic by the CCOF: Silver Mountain Vineyard along Summit Road between Los Gatos and Soquel, Cooper-Garrod Estate Vineyards in Saratoga, and Alfaro Family Vineyards in Corralitos. Visitors can learn more about growing organic winegrapes with self-guided or guided tours, enjoy the vineyards and coastal and mountain views, picnic and taste wine. The wine trail route makes a nice day’s excursion, while learning about the extra steps vineyards and wineries take to adhere to organic standards.
The cost for the self-guided tour is only the tasting fee/policy set by each winery, from $5-$10; or is included as part of the Passport program for those with a Passport. Guided tours with local transportation providers are also available, as are special package tours. Cooper-Garrod offers an Eco-Ride with a docent-led horseback ride through the Fremont-Older Open Space.
Visitors are encouraged to bring a picnic to enjoy in the vineyards, and can find picnic fare at the following nearby groceries:
- Near Alfaro Family Vineyards: the Corralitos Market & Sausage Company, 569 Corralitos Rd., Watsonville – well-known for house-made sausages and sandwiches.
- Near Silver Mountain: The Summit Store, 24197 Summit Rd., Los Gatos – sandwiches, sushi, salads and other picnic fare.
- Cooper-Garrod Estate: Vienna Woods European Deli, 14567 Big Basin Way, Saratoga – sandwiches, salads, falafel, hummus, and more.
Check the website at www.organicwinetrail.org for more information, including maps and directions; email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About CCOF Certification.
Each of these wineries on the Organic Wine Trail of the Santa Cruz Mountains has achieved organic certification for its vineyard by the CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers). In addition to these three, several other vineyards in the Santa Cruz Mountains are certified organic by the CCOF, including the vineyards at Kathryn Kennedy, Big Basin, Storrs, and Portola Valley Vineyards. Santa Cruz-based CCOF promotes and supports organic food and agriculture through a rigorous organic certification program, and has over 2000 certified members. CCOF Certification Services is accredited by the USDA National Organic Program.
For more information, check the group website at www.organicwinetrail.org; email email@example.com. For more information on each winery, please visit the individual websites:
- Alfaro Family Vineyards, 420 Hames Rd., Corralitos 95076 831-728-5172, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.alfarowine.com
- Silver Mountain, Silver Mountain Drive, off of Miller Cut-Off,
near Summit Rd. and the Old San Jose-Soquel Rd., between Los Gatos and Soquel. 408-353-2278, email@example.com, www.silvermtn.com
- Cooper-Garrod Estate Vineyards, 22645 Garrod Rd., Saratoga, CA 95070, 408-867-7116, www.cgv.com